The spring period is favourable for renovation works outside the house and in the garden. However, it's hard to get down to concrete work without the right power tools. These include all kinds of saws and circular saws. This type of equipment will allow the processing of almost any element made of wood, metal and plastic. Of course, in addition to the saw itself, we also need a suitable saw blade. In today's article, we will suggest how to install and remove such a blade in various types of saws - including manual and table saws.
CHANGING THE BLADE IN A HANDHELD CIRCULAR SAW
To replace the blade on a portable circular saw, first of all, you should take care of your safety. For a corded model, disconnect it from the electrical outlet. If, on the other hand, we have wireless equipment, we remove the battery from the saw. Next, we put on work gloves, because even a worn blade can cut us - not to mention a brand new one. Attention! It is unacceptable to use discs intended for angle grinders in hand-held circular saws!
Removing the cutting disc:
- Place the saw on a flat surface (e.g. workbench) with the saw blade facing you and turned 180 degrees.
- The next step may differ depending on your specific device model. Most often you have to press a special button responsible for the spindle lock.
- Then you need to unscrew the clamping screw, usually with an Allen key and in the direction of rotation of the saw blade.
- Now you have to remove the washer, mounting bolt and flanges.
- After all the actions, you can proceed to remove the cutting blade after pulling the lower saw blade cover.
Mounting the saw blade:
- Thoroughly clean the device of any loose and greasy dirt that may contaminate the inside of the saw during assembly of the saw blade.
- Pull back the lower cover.
- If you already have the mounting bolt removed, as well as the washer and mounting flanges, you can start installing the disc. If not, follow steps 2-4 above.
- Place on the inner collar that secures the cutting disc, then put the outer collar and the washer on it. Be sure to follow the direction of rotation indicated on the dial.
- Then tighten the bolt with your fingers and check that the mounted disc has no noticeable play, side runout, etc.
- Only then press and hold the spindle locking button and tighten the clamping screw with the Allen key. This time opposite to the direction of rotation of the saw blade.
- Before starting work, check if the mounted shield does not show any disturbing symptoms.
CHANGING THE BLADES ON THE TABLE (TABLE) SAW
The disassembly of the circular saw blade for a table saw will be similar to that for a handheld circular saw, although it will certainly differ in the initial and final stages. Depending on the type of table saw used, it may be necessary to disassemble the cover and the worktop. In the case of chainsaws where the blade is located under the worktop, sometimes the angle lock should be additionally loosened and the blade should be set to 45 ° using a special knob. Both unscrewing and tightening the disc is then done with a hexagonal key.
In the end, however, we would like to say that the guidelines mentioned in the article are only illustrative and before proceeding with the disassembly and assembly of the saw blade in the saw, it is absolutely necessary to read the equipment manual provided by the manufacturer. Keep in mind the fact that the disc rotates at enormous speed and even a small play can cause it to break or crack. That is why it is so important to properly mount it on the spindle.